Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Emotional Intelligence


            After taking the EQ test I learned something about myself that I never knew before. According to the test my emotional intelligence is not as high as I originally thought. Apparently, I am below average in my emotional intelligence, which I found surprising. After listening to Hank Weisinger’s speech on emotional intelligence I have noticed two main points that I need to improve to raise my emotional intelligence. The two steps that I need most improvement on are learning to use my thoughts as instructional self-statements and to make my tasks more underwhelming and not overwhelming.
            The first step seems very simple but from what Mr. Weisinger stated, this step is vital. Whenever I don’t complete a goal or I’m in a situation that I do not want to be in, I talk to myself in a negative way. I have always felt that doing this could have positive effects, thinking that it would motivate me. I thought that telling myself that I am too lazy or stupid after I do not accomplish a personal goal would push me to do better next time. From what Mr. Weisinger said, that technique is nothing but detrimental. To implement this first step I will try to talk to myself more productively. If I do not accomplish a goal instead of coming down hard on myself, I will talk more productively towards myself. I can also write down steps to deal with situations better. If someone is giving me bad news or information that I do not like I usually get angry and counterproductive. By writing down steps to deal with these situations I can avoid getting angry and counterproductive.
            The second step is another simple step to follow. Instead of making tasks difficult, I will make them small and easier to accomplish. For example, if I have a test on a Thursday, instead of making my task to get an A, I will break that task down. My first task will be to gather my notes on Monday, then I will study for an hour on Tuesday, next I will study for 3 hours on Wednesday, lastly I will take the test on Thursday aiming for an A. Breaking down the large task and turning it into smaller tasks makes it easier to accomplish. As I complete each task I feel better about myself and can move on to the next task with more confidence. Implementing these two simple tasks stated by Mr. Weisinger can dramatically change my emotional intelligence for the better. It’s now up to me to make sure that I implement them into my daily life.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment